Monday, March 28, 2011

We're Here...Day One and Two

Getting over to the Motherland was a bit of a challenge. Why, you ask? It started with me being flagged by security in Nashville as I went through the screening machine and having to have a full pat down in a private interrogation room. It seems my money belt could have been something else...

We arrived in Washington, d.c. and had lunch. Then we headed out on our flight to Moscow. Within 10 minutes of taking off, I had removed the air sickness bag and was puking in my seat, next to a complete stranger (it didn't help that he was eating the smelliest frito pie wrap things). My dry heaving and puking did not stop for the ENTIRE 9 hour flight. I couldn't even lay back in my seat as my stomach was cramping so bad. At one point I seriously thought I would take a stewardess hostage until she gave me a bed in 1st class. It got worse though when Clark started to throw up half way through the flight. We looked awful when we got off the plane (the last ones) and headed to get our baggage. As we were going through customs, they scanned our bags and we were flagged again. It seems they thought I was bringing in really expensive watches (I got them at Kohl's) as they searched my bag. Last but not least, our driver was no where to be found - our flight was early - so we pulled our luggage to the side of a wall and sat on the floor, praying that we'd be able to lie down soon.

When we arrived at our hotel, that's exactly what we did. We didn't leave the hotel room until the next day. We slept on and off and thankfully our room had a stocked refrigerator with water - I'm sure it only cost me $15 a bottle.

Day two involved our 8 specialist Russian medical evaluation. It was great people watching and definitely different from an American clinic. Most of the doctors were women. The nurses were high heels. The only thing we didn't expect was how nice and congratulatory they were towards us!

Our first post sickness meal was at the McDonald's. It was the biggest one I've ever seen - 24 cash registers and 3 levels. We had to circle the restaurant 3 times before we found a seat. I know, I know, McDonald's? Hey, at least I knew what I was eating.

Please continue to pray for us. Tomorrow I will gather research to present in court. Pray we find printer paper and a smooth internet connection. We brought a portable printer with us.

I'll try to post more tomorrow. We're two days away from getting to see Evan again!!

3 comments:

Traci said...

Praying my heart out for you guys.
xoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

Keep those prayer requests coming - Just keeping adding to the list with Faith, nothing overwhelms God!

Jeanette and Greg said...

I do not feel so alone now...on our 10 hour flight to Moscow my Dramamine didn't work and I threw up on and off for a long time plus a slight panic attack knowing I couldn't get off the plane!! To this day I thank god I didn't get run over in the streets of russia!!