Monday, January 11, 2010

List Maker


I think that should be my new title. Clark and I made a list yesterday of what needed to be done this week for the adoption. Doctor visits, TB tests (for all of us), picture taking, form filling out and more form filling out, raising money. Then there was the daily schedule list on our blackboard - therapy appointments, after school activities and chores. And finally I made another list of things I couldn't forget to do this week that pertained to my kids - phone calls, school forms, checks to be written and birthday presents to get. I was tired and it was only Sunday night.

Do you let your list rule your day? I admit I struggle. Sometimes how I feel at the end of the day corresponds with how many things I checked off my list. I don't believe that is how God intends for me to live. How much do I miss out on because of my "have to get done" list? How many encounters has God sent my way only for me to miss them because they are not on "my schedule"?

I frequently have to reread an excerpt from a book (A Place of Quiet Rest) I read about a year ago. "I've learned that there will never be enough time in the day for me to do everything on my "to do" list. There will never be time for me to do everything on everyone else's "to do" list for me. But there will always be enough time for me to do everything on God's "to do" list for my life". Not only is this section underlined, but out in the margin I wrote: I need to learn!!!

I try to remember to ask God to take away the expectations I have placed upon myself and instead ask Him what business He wants me about each day. I pray I get better at it!!

So, it will be interesting to see with my long list of things "to do" what He wants me to get done this week. I pray that I will hear Him instead of the"to do".

1 comments:

Patty said...

Dear Angie & Tori,
I've been meaning to write for a couple of days now. I wanted to let you and Tori know how much we (my son Caleb and I) are enjoying both of your blogs. We will be praying for your family as you go through the adventure of international adoption. We have 3 biological children and two adopted children, our daughter from Guatemala and our son from Ethiopia. Your family story is very inspirational. Thank you for sharing it. Tori,your music is awesome and your heart for your brothers and sister, and the plight of the orphan is so admirable. We wish you all the best! We look forward to following your journey to Evangeline.
Patty & family